First bite: WHOA! That’s TANGY.
Second bite: Hey! That’s a glazed Maple Pecan! It’s sweet, crunchy & it really balances out that tangy apple.
Third bite: FOR THE LOVE OF CRUNCH!
Fourth bite: I like you Cabbage Apple Slaw, really I do.
If you’re looking for a good kick in the pants, tangy, crunchy slaw. This one’s for you!
And we’re off!
Look. This is what makes up this slaw.
Maple glazed pecans first. Maple, brown sugar, salt, pecans. MIX.
Add to a baking sheet & toast! 10-15 mins. Set aside.
Dressing! Add it all together in a jar.
Shake it hardcore. Done.
Chop up the cabbage. There’s a lot of it.
Chop up the apples and squeeze some lemon on top.
Put the ingredients in a bowl. DRESS!
Here’s what I ate for lunch today.
I’m so in love with this polka dot plate and the slaw that sits on top of it. The end.
Cabbage Apple Slaw with Maple Pecans
(recipe slightly adapted from For the Love of Salad, by Jeanelle Mitchell)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 3 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage
- 2 small Granny Smith apples, cored & diced (add a little lemon juice to the cut apples to prevent browning)
- 1 cup maple-glazed pecans (whole or coarsely chopped) See recipe below.
Combine mustard, vinegar, oil and maple syrup in small jar. Add salt & pepper and shake! Place the chopped up cabbage, apples and pecans in a large bowl and toss with the vinaigrette.
Maple Glazed Pecans:
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup pecan halves
Preheat oven to 325 F. Combine the maple syrup, brown sugar, pecans and sprinkle with sea salt. Toss to coat well. Toast for 10-15 minutes. Let cool completely on a baking sheet. Break apart if necessary.
-If you want to make this in advance, add the pecans at the very end or they won’t be crunchy!
-You can either chop up the pecans or leave them whole like I did. It might be easier to eat if you chop them up. Just saying.