For tonight’s dinner, I made Sweet Potato & Chipotle Soup from the current issue of Everyday Food.
I am definitely adding this one to the Soup Rotation!
The recipe is labeled-“Smooth & Creamy with a Dash of Spice.”
They aren’t kidding! You would never guess that there isn’t cream in this soup. It’s velvety and thick! Definitely coats the back of a spoon.
It would be a perfect soup to veganize. All you need is veggie stock instead of chicken stock.
That means you can eat it, Woot! I know how you love sweet potatoes!
What I like best is that it required few ingredients and there’s soo few calories!
I guess I won’t feel so bad when I load it up with chips & serve it with a quesadilla tonight!
Look how easy it is!
First, chop some onions-
Peel some sweet potatoes (this is probably the hardest part!)
Chop up those sweet potatoes-
Saute some onion
…..with some cumin
Chop up a chipotle chili in adobo
Boil & simmer the sweet potatoes. Then puree the mixture!
In no time you are able to sit down and enjoy this:
Sweet Potato and Chipotle Soup
(Recipe Everyday Food Magazine)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- coarse salt & ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (2lbs total) peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 to 1 whole chipotle chili in adobo, chopped (i used a whole chili)
- 7 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- sour cream, for serving (i didn’t have any and it was just fine!)
1. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until beginning to brown around the edges, about 7 mins. Add cumin & garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 min. Stir in sweet potatoes, chile, and broth. Bring to a boil’ reduce to a rapid simmer, partially cover and cook until sweet potatoes can be mashed easily with a spoon, 20 to 25 mins.
2. Let soup cool slightly. Using an immersion blender, puree soup in the pot. You can use a blender if you work in batches. Season with salt & pepper and serve! Top with sour cream or serve with tortilla chips like I did!!