Hope everyone had a fun Father’s Day!
At this point in our kitchen remodel I have no counter tops or sink! I was going to have Father’s Day at my house this year, but quickly realized…WHAT WAS I THINKING? There’s no way I could possibly pull together a dinner without a sink!
In preparation for dinner at my parents, I spent the morning pitting some cherries on my back porch. I got a huge dose Vitamin D in the process….and have to admit it was kinda fun spraying my cutting board off with my garden hose. The power! If only I could put a drain hole in my kitchen floor! Imagine….
And then I hijacked my mom’s kitchen and started making the cherry tart for dessert:
OK! First off…it was good! Soooo good. I had two pieces (well, one normal…and a sliver…and my dad did too!) It was a hit! Think: LIGHT + FLUFFY + CHEESECAKE
Fresh Cherry Tart
(Everyday Food Magazine)
- 9 graham crackers (each 2 1/2 by 5 inches)
- 2 tablespoons plus cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 6 ounces bar cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound fresh sweet cherries pitted and halved
- 1 tablespoon seedless raspberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pulse graham crackers and 2 tablespoons sugar until finely ground. Add butter, and process until combined. Transfer mixture to a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Using the base of a dry measuring cup, firmly press mixture into bottom and up sides of pan. Bake until browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese, vanilla, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add cream, and beat until soft peaks form; spread mixture in cooled crust. Scatter cherries on top.
3. In a small saucepan, combine jam and 1 teaspoon water; heat over low until liquefied, about 2 minutes. Using a pastry brush, dab cherries with glaze. Refrigerate tart at least 30 minutes or, covered, up to 1 day.
And because I’m feeling generous…I’ll show you the rest of the meal I made:
Here’s the spread:
My plate- cowboy rubbed steak, cauliflower puree, roasted peppers & mushroom couscous :
I grilled some mushrooms for my vegan bro:
And here’s the vegan dessert- Dark Chocolate Fondue:
And here’s my dad DIGGING into to it:
Happy Father’s Day! I love you Dad!