come to momma!
I was at my sister-in-law's house the other weekend perusing her latest issue of Real Simple.
Holy mother!! The Mac & Cheese on the front cover seduced me hardcore.
I was on a mission to make this- and boy was I happy I did.
Finding a way to make Mac & Cheese APPEAR healthy is all right with me!
The cauliflower added a nice dimension to the macaroni and I loved the topping.
Husband approved too!
Now tell me, who doesn't enjoy a golden crust? I think next time I might add more cauliflower and less macaroni. Momma's gotta be healthy after all!
Macaroni and Cheese with Cauliflower
(recipe adapted from Real Simple Magazine)
-12 oz multigrain elbow macaroni
-1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
-4 slices multigrain bread, torn
-1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
-3 tablespoons olive oil
-kosher salt & black pepper
-1 onion, finely chopped
-1 1/2 cup grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cup reduced fat sour-cream
-1/2 cup 1 % milk
-1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
-splash of cayenne pepper (my addition)
-splash of garlic powder (another addition)
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions, adding the cauliflower during the last 3 minutes of cooking time, drain.
2. Meanwhile, pulse the bread in a food processor until course crumbs form. Add the parsley, 2 tablespoons of oil, splash of garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt & pepper. Pulse to combine, set aside.
3. Return pasta pot to medium heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the onion, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, just until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Mix in the pasta, cauliflower, cheese, sour cream, milk and mustard.
4. Transfer to a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture on top. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.