HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I had a great 2013 (I hope to recap soon!) and I wanted to share my intentions for 2014. I find it’s best to set intentions instead of resolutions. It seems a little bit easier for me to lay a foundation of how I want the year to look instead of expectations and resolutions I’m pressured into keeping. Turns out I have 10 of them. An even number for an even year. I love those even numbers. Cheers to that!
- Challenge myself photographically. I’d like to use my DSLR more this year. I got into the habit of leaving it at home when I go out (it’s heavy!) so I’ve been researching a good point & shoot camera to keep in my purse. Hopefully I’ll make a decision on that soon. In 2013 I used my iPhone more than I’d hoped for My Everyday Life series. I think it’s been great for spur of the moment shots and the quality is pretty good but there are definite limitations. The biggest problem is that I’m not very good at deleting photos on my phone so it gets cluttered easily and that stresses me out.
- Work harder at organizing my technology. This is somewhat related to #1. I have so many dang photos to delete from my hard drive and phone. I need to back things up and start fresh! Also….ahem my EMAIL and my Aperture library both need some serious sorting. I hope to make more time for this in 2014 before it REALLY overwhelms me.
- Write more in my journal. I don’t even know what my handwriting looks like anymore. It was sad how much my hand was cramping when I wrote out our holiday cards. I’d like to take more time to gather my thoughts on paper this year. I completed an entire journal in 2013 and I’m hoping to do that again in 2014. It feels so satisfying!
- Incorporate meditation into my everyday life. Meditation has always intrigued me, mostly because I have a hard time stopping my brain. I don’t allow my head to clear enough and get into trouble as a result. I’d like to carve out a small chunk of the day or a little part of the week to do so. In a way, my walks have been my own form of meditation but I’m hoping to delve a little further into this in 2014. Maybe a retreat would do this brain some good?
- Write a book proposal. I’ve been toying with the idea of writing a cookbook for a few years now. I think I finally figured out what my focus could be and I’m nervous/excited to get started on it. I hope this will be the year when I start living out my dreams and putting all this hard work to good use. Onward march!
- Update my website. There are things I’d like to do around here. Maintenance! I hope to tidy things up and make it easier to search for recipes/posts in the archives. Shutterbean will get some minor work done. We’re not talking a major facelift…probably the blog equivalent to Botox & fillers 😉
- Less structure, more play. I’d like to shake things up around here and not be so rigid with my posting. I’m not sure what that will look like, but I hope to do more personal posts related to travel, dining out, organizing, around the house, etc. I haven’t shared as much as I could have because my work schedule hasn’t permitted me to. Hopefully a little bit of wiggle room will help.
- Read more books. I say this every year and I really hope that it sticks this year! I’m a person who devours self help books and really enjoys learning new things but I think a little fiction would do me some good. I also want to finish a WHOLE book instead of reading 4 books (and never finishing them) at once.
- More family dinners. I think we’d all benefit from that. I need to make more of an effort this year in the kitchen during dinner time. I’d also like to get together with family more; even if it’s just casual/simple eating!
- Build the momentum on projects around the house- After living in this house for over a year, I think we’re ready to start making some changes around here. But in the process, we’re going to have to simplify and save! I’m excited to pull the trigger on some painting projects and I’d love to get a vegetable garden going this year. I hope to share that in this space soon.
That’s it for now. 2014, BRING IT ON!