This weeks girls night (plus 1 boy) was all about comfort food.
I made a New York Times recipe for Creamy Macaroni & Cheese (found via Smitten Kitchen).
Thank you Deb!
Did I ever tell you how much I love the crunchy bits of Mac & Cheese?? I used to fight with my two older brothers over the crunchy parts when we were growing up.
Aren’t you jealous- Ryan?
Here’s a close up of the creaminess….the cottage cheese was a nice touch!
I paired the mac & cheese with a salad (cucumber, tomato, red onion & feta with a mustard dressing) and some steamed broccoli.
I HAD to balance out that fat/veggie ratio….
Creamy Macaroni & Cheese
New York Times 01/04/06
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup whole milk cottage cheese
- 2 cups milk (not skim)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 handful of breadcrumbs (not in the original recipe-I added this)
- Pinch cayenne
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 pound elbow pasta, uncooked.
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees and position an oven rack in upper third of oven. Use 1 tablespoon butter to butter a 9-inch round or square baking pan.
2. In a blender, puree cottage cheese. When consistency is extremely smooth, add milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg and salt and pepper together. Reserve 1/4 cup grated cheese for topping. In a large bowl, combine remaining grated cheese, milk mixture and uncooked pasta. Pour into prepared pan, cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.
3. Uncover pan, stir gently, sprinkle with reserved cheese and breadcrumbs. Dot with remaining tablespoon butter. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes more, until browned. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
***The only thing that I regret…is not making a double batch!***
And for dessert…..
Earlier that day I decided to make these brownie cookies I found from one of my flickr buddies. I totally screwed up the batch when I made it a couple of weeks ago. I ended up with 1 big cookie the shape of my cookie sheet! I got it right this time…Not sure what happened.
makes about 18
The recipe came from Welcome to My Pantry (thank you!)
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 1/8 cup unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
-Set oven to 350 degrees
1. Melt 1 cup chocolate chips with 2 oz. of unsweetened chocolate. Add butter, stir til melted.
2. Mix eggs, vanilla and sugar in a medium bowl. Combine thoroughly. Set aside.
3. Mix flour & baking powder together in a small bowl.
4. Add melted chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and slowly add your dry ingredients. When stirred, add remaining cup of chocolate chips- stir!
5. Scoop cookies onto a cookie sheet. Bake & try not to scarf them down the second they get out of the oven!
My makeshift Neapolitan dessert!
I put two cookies in each of bowl, topped it with vanilla bean ice cream and added some strawberry sauce on top!
For the strawberry sauce, I pureed strawberries with a little bit of sugar & water. Taste as you go and check the consistency and it’s pretty darn easy.
What’s your favorite comfort food?